Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Day 13 - Kindness

Love one another with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other. -Romans 12:10

Disciplining boys can be quite the challenge. It is sometimes difficult to know whether you should discipline an action or discipline the heart. Sally Clarkson, author of The Mission of Motherhood, shares, "From personal experience and many years of observation, moms often discipline boys for being boys, instead of understanding that God wants them to grow into strong men." We need to honor our sons and train them up to be warriors - and that means letting them practice being little warriors in their youth.

A soft answer turns away wrath. -Proverbs 15:1


Treating our sons with kindness will be better received during discipline, as it shows we are respecting and honoring them. Sally also talks about how to earn a place at the table of your son's life. She said, "Learning not to react to the noise of my boys, but the understand the 'glory of man' and their need to show off at times, made me a cheerleader for them, and gave me the right to speak into their lives."

I pray that my son experiences kindness (though I know he will have his share of heartache) and that he freely gives it to everyone. I pray that I am an example of kindness to others.

May my son be kind to others, tenderhearted, forgiving others, as God in Christ forgave him. (Ephesians 4:32)

No comments:

Post a Comment