Sunday, July 17, 2011

Day 17 - Self-Control

So whether you eat of drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
-1 Corinthians 10:31


Everyday I struggle between doing what I want to do and doing what the Lord wants me to do. I have been in a Christian household my entire life and have had a personal relationship with Christ since my mid teen years - still this is a struggle. Brooke asks, "What is on the throne of your son's heart?" My son is almost 3, and quite honestly I think Power Rangers are on the throne of his heart.

I know my son will grow and will be drawn to worship things instead of choosing to worship God fully. He might worship friendships, athletics, music, girls... But Brooke shares, "The key to overcoming our tendencies toward worshipping something other than Christ is to choose to love Him more than we love our sin. A constant laying down of our desires and picking up of Christ is the only fix."

Since I choose often to not control my sin and give in to what I want instead of what my Perfect Father wants, how can I be surprised when my son chooses to disobey me? As my Father extends grace to me, so I should freely extend grace to my son.

Today I pray that my son desires to be obedient to my husband and me as his earthly parents, and to God most of all as his heavenly Father. May I show him grace instead of frustration or anger, showing self-control in my own actions.

May my son not let sin reign in his mortal body, to make him obey its passions. May he not present his members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present himself to God as one who has been brought from death to life, and his members to God as instruments for righteousness. (Romans 6:12-13)

No comments:

Post a Comment