Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Day 14 - Goodness

Woe to your, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs, which outwardly appear beautiful, but within are full of dead people's bones and all uncleanness. So you outwardly appear righteous to others, but within you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness. -Matthew 23:27-28

Brooke begins today by posing this question: What are we aiming for?

Her answer is this, "I want their hearts. No behavior modification or fad parenting of the day. No, I want the hearts of our boys, because God wants the hearts of our boys. I'm aiming for the heart."

Does it matter that our sons are obedient if they have simply figured out what actions they should do? I know there was a time that I behaved a certain way at home and a very different way with my friends. I had learned to manipulate the system. I sure seemed perfect but my heart was not right. I was a whitewashed tomb.

Brooke says, "Are we raising little Pharisees? Or are we raising Godly men with a heart for God? If a Godly son is your goal, you must aim for the heart."

Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks. -Matthew 12:34

Today I pray that my son is like the good man who brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart. I pray that I identify actions as being a heart problem so that I address the real issue.

May my son do what is right and good in the sight of the Lord, that it may go well with him. (Deuteronomy 6:8)

No comments:

Post a Comment