Monday, July 04, 2011

Day 5 - Pride

In his pride, the wicked do not seek Him; in all his thoughts there is
no room for God. - Psalm 10:4


It is shown in scripture over and over that the humble are exalted but the proud are brought down to nothing. Kings with pride issues were wiped out, and the lowly were called to do great things for the Lord. Mary chosen as the mother of our Savior, David chosen to be king, Gideon chosen to lead Israel out from under the Midianites. When the king was to be selected from the house of Jesse, Jesse didn't even bother to have David brought to the line up. God wanted to exalt the youngest son, a shepherd.

Jesse had seven of his sons pass before Samuel, but Samuel said to him, “The LORD has not chosen these.” So he asked Jesse, “Are these all the sons you have?”
“There is still the youngest,” Jesse answered. “He is tending the sheep.” Samuel said, “Send for him; we will not sit down until he arrives.” -1 Samuel 16:10-11


My desire is that my son achieve excellence in his life, but that in his achievements he would show humility. Without a doubt, the most important thing for my son is that he lives in harmony with God's word - holding fast to a relationship with Christ. Brooke talks about how boys need to see people (and especially men) laying down their pride. I will say that I am humbled quite often in public thanks to my son's actions :)

Today I pray for my son to grow into a man of humility, one who walks with the Lord.

May my son be lowly in spirit and obtain honor, for one's pride will bring him low, but he who is lowly in spirit will obtain honor. (Proverbs 16:18)

No comments:

Post a Comment