Thursday, July 21, 2011

Day 20 - Honesty

The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks. -Luke 6:45

Brooke shares an illustration in her leader's guide that I think is worth passing along. There was a pastor who held up a Styrofoam cup. He rammed his hand into the side of the cup, water spilling out, and asked why water came out of the cup. Was it because he rammed into it? Or was it simply because there was water inside of it?

If there had been no water, there would have been no spill. If we are the Styrofoam cup, then the ramming of the hand shows the daily hits we get. So what is the water? It is whatever we carry inside us. Good or evil, pleasing to God or destructive to ourselves. What is in your heart today?

Today is about honesty, but Brooke does not focus on that topic in her leader's guide or her main book. Why is that? The true way to be an honest person is to make sure of what is in your heart.

Lord, today I pray that I will store good treasures in my heart so that when difficulties come I will react in a way that is pleasing to you. I pray that my son is softened to your Truth, and that he desires to be an honest man who stores up good things.

May my son live such a good life among the unbeliever that, though they accuse him of doing wrong, they may see his good deeds and glorify God. (1 Peter 2:12)

No comments:

Post a Comment