Saturday, July 23, 2011

Warrior Prayers - Fear Not

Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. -Isaiah 41:10

For 21 days I have sought the Lord on behalf of my son in very specific areas (see the Warrior Prayers tab at the top for all the related posts). During that time my son has had precious moments of obedience, and challenging moments of defiance. He has hit, kicked, scowled, and said he hated things. I have realistic expectations of my almost three year old, but what if he was 8 or 12 or 21 and I saw no results at the end of this time period? No heart change when I've prayed to the Father?

Brooke talks about fear in her conclusion. The greatest fear we have: that our children will not bend to the Lord. She says, "I know fear is lack of trust, and lack of trust is lack of thanksgiving." It is overwhelming to think of the responsibility we have as mothers to raise Godly young men (or women). I share this feeling with Brooke, "[I'm] wondering if my efforts - my prayers - will ever make a difference. The moment of grace gives me hope that they do and that the God of the universe who made us, sees us. And smiles."

Sometimes it feels like I am speaking to an empty room, but I know that the prayers of a righteous man are effective(James 5:16) and I am the righteousness of God through Christ(2 Cor. 5:21), so MY prayers are powerful and effective. They are not lost in space.

The bottom line is trust. Trust that as we exalt Christ, He will draw our sons to Himself(John 12:32). Trust that He knows what we have need of even before we ask it(Matthew 6:8). Trust.

Lord, may my son trust in You. May he fear not, knowing that You are with him; may he not be dismayed, for You are his God. You will strengthen him, You will help him, You will uphold him with Your righteous right hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment